Friday, March 2, 2012

The Expense Report

Liju came with a rather strange request; accompany him to kottayam town for buying rope. "silly!. Why can't he buy it from here".On a sunday morning with an empty purse you just don't want to be bothered. I explained him my financial situation, but it was not enough to deter him. After 20 minutes we boarded the bus to kottayam.
We got seated and he started the conversation by informing me that he had searched for rope near college, but found them too expensive. Later the conversation drifted to sports meet starting next day. KD was the sports secretary of our college union and sports meet was a prestigious event, may be the most important event of his college life. Though Liju was KD's roommate he was not too interested in the topic."His humility is stopping him from bragging on his role".
After alighting from bus Liju took me to a juice shop nearby and ordered for two apple juices."Having apple juice is refreshing in the peak of summer". He lit a cigarette and offered me one. As my hands fumbled with the matches, he took the match from my hand, lit it and touched it to the trembling tip of the cigarette dangling precariously from my lips. Although he was known as rich, his generosity was doubted by many including me."Everything seemed to be changing".
We found a reputed shop and after long bargain bought two sets of ropes costing 12 rupees. We reached 'Khana-khazhana', the famous and costly hotel in the heart of the town and one of the favourite hang outs for RITans."I have to be happy with an ordinary meal". The place was packed upstairs and downstairs. We waited for a seat and the smell of fried chicken watered my mouth. To my surprise, Liju ordered for two chicken biriyanis and a chicken kabab. This made me suspicious and felt like things are getting out of control. I hesitated for a second, understandingly he said "I will pay". I got overwhelmed with gratitude."Even after knowing him for so many years I felt like dealing with a complete stranger". I thoroughly enjoyed the food. After finishing it, Liju ordered ice cream! ."A perfect finish to an excellent dining experience".
"If u judge people you have no time to love them" I understood why Mother Theresa said this. I was doing the judging all day; doubting his integrity, mocking his intentions. I decided to enjoy the moment and thanked him from bottom of my heart. We reached back to the hostel by evening and I immediately slept.
A loud argument woke me up and I went to corridor of the hostel. I could hear Liju's voice from his room."Last week when I bought gifts for sports meet from Kottayam, you asked for proof before refunding the amount I spent. This time I had gone with Joseph. You can ask him for any clarification. I want the refund by tomorrow". As I reached the room, Liju stormed out of it after handing over a piece of white paper to KD, our Sports Secretary. The writing on that paper was not clear to me from that distance. I wondered "Why was Liju so upset about the refund of Rs 12 ?"
I went close and read the paper in KD's hand.

Expenses:
Bus fair -Rs. 08
Juice -Rs. 20
Cigarette -Rs. 10
Lunch -Rs. 60
Rope -Rs. 12
Total amount to be refunded -Rs.110

1 comment: