Tuesday, March 6, 2012

First meeting with the mother of machines



May I have the single honour, double pleasure, triple satisfaction with multiple ejaculation in knowing your good, great, gracious name sir? Please…
Every fresher at that time would have written this imposition hundreds of time. This was how we should ask the name of a senior, if permitted to ask. Along with this, there were Newtons laws numbering till 10 and certain ‘Slogams’ which had to be byhearted to get exempted from the ragging sessions.
One day myself and Kuttachan were going to the society store operating in the ground floor of admin block for buying pencils. As we reached near the store, we were caught by a few seniors. Upon knowing that 4 seniors in that group were from Mech department Kuttachan gave each of them a royal “Mech Salute”. Seeing what my partner did, I too jumped to the maximum height possible and when reached the highest point, used my left hand to hold my balls and gave them a Royal salute with my right hand, same way Kuttachan did, exactly how a Mech Salute is to be delivered. Giving four such salutes took away all the energy I had.
Seeing our obedience, the seniors asked us to go. When we were about to move, someone from the group asked us politely whether we could buy a thing for him from the store.
“What do you want sir?” Kuttachan asked
“Buy one lathe for me”. My mouth felt dry as the senior told this. How much will this instrument cost?
A drafter cost approx 200 Rs. Will this instrument cost more than that..? I looked at kuttachen. He too seemed perplexed. We have not heard about this instrument yet. We were asked to bring scales, drafter, pencils of various grades (H, 2H, HB and B) big set of compass and A3 size papers for the drawing classes. Now comes lathe. We thought that this lathe is a big brother of the drafter and should be used in our higher semesters.
“Take this and don’t forget to give the balance 5 Rs when you bring the lathe.” Saying this, the senior took a 20 Rs note from his pocket and handed over to us. Thank god.. we sighed a relief. “What a good senior..!! He is ready to pay for the instrument. Thank god, the Mech salute really worked”. We thought ourselves.
Store was crowded that day. I asked in my loud voice “Chetta, oru lathe tha”. Everybody in the store gave us a perplexed look. Some started laughing.
“Ividilla, mech workshopil poye chodikku...” answered the store keeper.
“Stock theernu poyathano chetta..?” Kuttachan was eager to know. Everybody in the store laughed. We didnt understand anything. We decided to reach the mech workshop asap. The seniors were not seen when we came out of the store. We marched straight to the mech workshop.
“Eda avide vere store undo..? avide stock undakumo..?” Kuttachan was full of doubts.
We reached Mech workshop. Seeing a senior I asked him “Sir, ividuthe store evideya?”
“Enthina” his reply was fast
“Oru lathe venam”
“Aarka”
“Oru senior ina” Saying this I took the 20 Rs note from my pocket.
“Ethu type lathe venam?” such a question was not expected from him.
“4 jaw veno atho 3 jaw ullathu mathiyo?” he asked. We stood puzzled. Finally we decided to go back to the senior and ask him which type he wanted. We bunked the next hour and after roaming around the campus for 30 minutes we found him and asked which one he need.
“3 jaw is enough. Get me the lathe in another 10 min. If you are late, bring the lathe to my hostel, Mathathil buildings in 8th mile after 8 pm.” This time his sound was rude. Going to his room at 8 pm was beyond imagination.
“It’s dreadful to go to a senior’s room at 8 pm.” Kuttachen said. I too thought the same. We ran towards the workshop and saw the senior there.
“Sir, please show us to the store. He want 3 jaw type lathe”. Kuttachen requested. I stood beside with the 20 Rs in my hand.
“Self centered or independent?”. he asked.
I felt my head spinning. Going back to the senior without the lathe will be fatal.
Seeing our desperate looks the senior said. “Self centered will be enough for him”. We felt relaxed. We felt a deep sense of gratitude for this senior.
“Thankyou Sir” Kuttachen expressed his gratitude.
“Sir where is the store” I asked.
“Go inside and take it. These are the lathes”. Saying this he walked away.
We entered the workshop and looked in the direction he showed. Mighty machines were fixed on the floor.
Our first meeting with the mother of machines.

3 comments: