Thursday, September 6, 2012

Tribute to our Sankar


My stint with RIT started on a Sunday evening when my father dropped me in a “hostel”; a house named Kochuvadakekkara (KV). I had first  joined Adoor engg college and got transferred to RIT after two months as per the options I indicated at the time of interview.
I was greeted by an Ammachie and Achayan (owners of the said ‘house-de-hostel’) and other guy named Anwar, a budding civil engineering student of S1S2, who came from the northern side of Kerala. I was told that there were few other house mates, who had gone their native place on the weekend not in the spirit of seeing their parents but to evade the grooming sessions called ‘ragging’.
I was trying to get acquainted with the new surroundings and gather more information from Anwar on the ragging sessions in RIT.  Just then the door bell sounded and we moved to the foyer to open the door thinking that it could be one of our house mates on their return from home. When I opened the door, I saw a tall, handsome guy with a sports bag on his shoulders. Along with him was his father, a well built, tall personality, seemed like a politician with a high degree of command. Also with him was his mother, a sweet and caring lady carrying a bag probably the luggage of this guy.
Yes a new entrant to our house! We took them to our landlord. His name was Sankar S, Mechanical Engineering, from the capital of our state, Thiruvananthapuram. Just before the parents left, his mother warned him of bad friend circles and advised not to indulge into any bad habits such as drinking, smoking etc. She also advised me and Anwar that since we are away from home there are chances that we may fall into such traps. When Sankar went to see them off to the Nedunkuzhy bus stop, I could see an obedient guy, walking just behind his mother nodding to everything his mother said. Yes Sankar could be a ‘Moms baby’, I thought. His looks told me the same too.
After some time Shankar came back saying “Machu, you got a matchbox?”
I could see a white long cigarette on his lips. We dropped our jaw in gape. Shankar was smiling and searching for a matchbox inside the kitchen and other rooms. As he was lighting the cigarette, there came the next question.
“What a place is this? How can I treat my friends here?”
“What happened?” Anwar asked in an innocent and surprised voice
“No, my friends from Thiruvananthapuram wouldn’t like this place. Machu, how can I invite my friends to stay in this place”? Shankar asked.
“Do friends come so often, that too from TVM?” Anwar couldn't see the point.
“Yes. You know, I am a party guy and cannot leave without them”. Hearing this reply I felt I was from another world. As for me, I couldn't think any of my friends from my native place that was closer to Kottayam than TVM would come to party with me at this place, not even once in a year.
“Forget about boys, what about the girls..!! They are ready to come here for a two day bash once I got a house to stay in” Sankar said.
Anwar stood silent, mouth wide open.
Did I forget to tell that Sankar resembled a chocolate hero in Bollywood may be like Fardeen khan!! Yes, for him girlfriends cannot be just a mirage like it was to us. I was somewhat thrilled with the joy of staying with him especially when girls quite often pay visits and hang around for parties. But for Anwar, it was something dreadful, for he was sure such a guy who will attract seniors and cause a miserable life. Two days after, Sankar left KV to stay in ‘White house’ another ‘house-de-hostel’ more tidy and neat than KV, near Nedunkuzhy and later to ‘Wall house” another ‘house-de-hostel’ hundred times messier and lousier than KV.
But there were no girls and not even boys,  as I imagined in many of my initial nights in KV. Not even a single party like what he claimed on his first day!
That was Sankar.
A guy after joining Whitehouse was caught by locals alleged of using a binocular (you know for what) and became well known among locals.
A guy who stood with his spine straight and declared that he will not be an SFI, inviting attention of all seniors who were in SFI that time.
Who got admired by the girls of our batch, on account of a mockfight and other such activities in class.
Who smilingly admitted to the principal that he tried to ‘copy’ for the series test and accepted a suspension with happy face becoming a hero for his batchmates.
Courageous enough to go up and talk to any girls (no matter junior or senior), who comes in his way.
The first one in RIT to use a cellphone
The only one in our class who enjoyed the ‘present’ by living each moment in its full joy.
One guy who was always happy.
One guy who could chat up any person and impress them, and leave a pleasant awe about himself - of course who often referred to himself as Awesome Sanker.

Sankar left us 11 years ago this day: 06 Sept 2001.
MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what to comment..but after reading this..some sort of pain..or whatever..anyways it is touching..and I was also in KV for 4 yrs..
    - Asha Jayanthi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Enjoyed reading and remembering

    ReplyDelete